TEACHERS.NFORUM.BIZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Similar topics
    Poll

What continent are you from?

daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap22%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 22% [ 9 ]
    daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap2%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 2% [ 1 ]
    daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap0%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
    daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap59%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 59% [ 24 ]
    daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap5%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 5% [ 2 ]
    daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap7%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 7% [ 3 ]
    daily life of a pdh student I_vote_lcap5%daily life of a pdh student I_vote_rcap 5% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 41

Latest topics
    » Earn money online.
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:05 pm by Guest

» How can a parent help a middle school boy to become focused on school assignments?
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:17 am by Admin

» Should we get rid of homework?
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:12 am by Guest

» The eternal problem: school lunch
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 am by husk

» Holidays again
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:53 am by husk

» What continent are you from?
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:56 pm by Admin

» Teacher blogs
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:56 pm by Admin

» What do you think of the use of calculator and rulebooks in the class?
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:49 pm by Admin

» Modern school
    daily life of a pdh student I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 am by Guest

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Teachers on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of TEACHERS.NFORUM.BIZ on your social bookmarking website

daily life of a pdh student

Go down

daily life of a pdh student Empty daily life of a pdh student

Post by decaf Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 am

Can any one briefly write their daily activities (time table, if you will). I am curious about how daily life is for phd students. Like many hours you study, when exactly -- where, if you don't have an office (it seems like I won't get one on my first year or because I am an RA - I'm not sure). Studying in the library would suck - it'd be very nice to be able to leave you stuff behind when you're done working.

What do you do on weekends? Also, how do most phd students spend their summers -- the first summer in particular. Thanks.

decaf

Back to top Go down

daily life of a pdh student Empty Re: daily life of a pdh student

Post by applecat Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 am

Well I certainly won't be able to go into the depth and detail of others; however, I just started Monday and this was a breakdown of my week.

Monday: 9AM-10PM (meeting at 6).
    Tuesday: 9AM-8PM.
    Wednesday: 8AM-7PM
    Thursday: 9AM-6PM
    Friday: 9AM-5PM
    Satuday: 10:30AM-5PM
    Sunday: Relax and watching a full season of "Big Bang Theory."

I'm in a biochem lab so its a lot of hurry-up-and-wait type work. Set up some reactions or other procedures in the morning, look at recent stuff been done by others in the lab while the reactions are going, etc. I'm putting in as much time now as a I can so that I can get all the experience/knowledge/etc down while I have no classes or teaching.

I'm up there all day but have a lot of time where I'm eating or even goofing around on the computer. It isn't so much that I'm DOING something while I'm up there all the time. Rather, it would be pointless to leave for an hour and come back.

I'm glad I'm starting now so that I can not be AS overwhelmed once school starts in the fall.

applecat

Back to top Go down

Post by decaf Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks applecat, but I was hoping more of a day's breakdown, not a weeks. But it's good to know that you're almost always working.

decaf

Back to top Go down

Post by applecat Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:01 am

Sorry about that! I'll offer my daily breakdown in the summer if you'd like, but I'm betting youre more interested during the school year (I also would expect the days to be much different between my first summer and the summer of those in later years).

However, here is a daily breakdown.

7AM: Wake up, eat, shower, etc
    8AM: Leave to school
    830-9AM: Check emails of various sorts and review daily plans
    9AM: Set up first reactions or check the previous nights finished product
    10AM: Calculations, computer modeling,
    11-1: Most variable part of day between lunch, finishing a reaction, setting up other projects or more computer time
    1-5: Literature searching, reactions, learning about other related group-mates works, talking, etc.
    5: Eat dinner
    530: Set up any finals things for the day
    Til leaving: Computer modeling, chat with others

Though I feel busy each day I've been in lab, the following breakdown makes me feel like I'm really not doing much at all! Ha. I suppose I'll keep that in mind this week and pay attention a little more closely to what I'm actually doing! Hope this helps just a bit.

applecat

Back to top Go down

Post by newage Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:02 am

This is my summer routine pretty much every day.

0600 : Wake up
    0600 - 0730: Breakfast - potty etc.
    0730: Drive to train station. Arrive in 10 minutes
    0746: Train comes. Arrive Downtown Chicago at 0835.
    0900: Arrive on UIC campus.
    0930: Workday starts. Server Maintenance. Log checking. Take calls from users. Repair computers.
    1230: Lunch
    1300: Class starts, goes all the way until 1630.
    1640: Back in office until 1745. (Or sometimes to the gym)
    1745: Walk to train station.
    1810: Train leaves. Arrive on the other side by 1915.
    1930: Back Home for dinner.
    2000: shower
    2030: Homework, if any
    2200: Daily Counter-Strike: Source / Team Fortress 2 session Very Happy
    2330: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

newage

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:03 am

Thats less then 5 hours of sleep. Musn't we sleep for 8 hours to really have our brains working on full capacity.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

https://teachers.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down